Sunday, November 9, 2014


Between Barack and a Hard Place; TIM WISE



The article mentions school segregation on the level of poverty. Connecting to what I learned in Political Science, this goes with Brown vs Education.We can all agree that segregation in schools is considered to be both separate and unequal. 

I would like to connect this reading to Delpits reading about power and privilege. Even though some people don't believe in theirselves, everyone has the right to both power and privilege.Rather than trying to separate children based on their financial status, it is the job of the educators to teach "the rules and codes of power." 

By acknowledging racial and financial differences you display a sense of cultural competency. By separating children with those particular differences you are not teaching them how to get ahead in life, you are showing them that they do not possess the means of success. When children of different ethnicities, backgrounds, and fiscal situations are integrated, they are provided with a more beneficial and well rounded education.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ghdirLe7w





In the Service of What? The Politics of Service Learning
By Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer

I feel as though this was a very powerful article. Service learning is something that is very important especally to young students. I think it is something very different than charity work. Service learning gives students the oppertunity to have a hand on learning experience.
In my FNED class. I learned a lot from my service learning requirement. I can compare the things i've learned out in my classroom to many of the readings. 



QUOTES:

" . . . ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

"I'm glad I went on that trip because it was a wonderful experience to meet new people and find out about their lives."

" but its real impact is seen in its ability to promote powerful learning environment"



Watch this video about the importance on Service Learning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4PdapFAbmA

No comments:

Post a Comment